Tuesday, April 22, 2008

MySpace practices CSR, too!


I was logging into MySpace (yes, I am a guilty user) and the home page was completely black in honor of Earth Day 2008. MySpace isn't the first Web site to do this. Google created the search engine Blackle for those who are uber-concerned about saving energy. I didn't even know Blackle existed until I saw someone using it in one of my classes. It never even crossed my mind that blacking out Web sites would save that much energy. I guess blacking out Web sites is the new "Save the Earth" trend.

Blacking out their Web site isn't the only thing they are doing for Earth Day. According to MySpace Impact, they hosted the Green Apple Festival over the weekend in which artists banded together to perform for a cause.

MySpace is also asking users to plant a tree on their profile and in return, MySpace will plant a tree in real life. This new application will spread quickly across the MySpace community. I mean, look at Facebook. In one of their thousands of applications, users can create their own virtual pets. This application started out with minimal use, but now, I see it on almost every profile I view. So, add a tree to your MySpace and chances are, all of your friends will too.

Some might be shocked to find out that MySpace isn't just a breeding ground for teenagers to post lewd photos of themselves. MySpace actually cares. Why wouldn't someone, such as Tom Anderson, MySpace's founder, take advantage of the millions of people who use his site and promote concerns of the general public? Just like Facebook, MySpace can influence millions in just minutes and with the simple click of a button.

1 comment:

College Bloggers said...

Good posting and good links. Hope you keep up your blog. If you change the name let me know so I can keep up with you. Have a great summer.
--Prof. Flournoy